Yesterday I managed to find, download, install and play with a Blackberry emulator, as seen here (click for full screen). Obviously the first thing I looked at was this site, which works but doesn't look too hot. Most importantly I have an emulator to use.
You can get the emulator from Blackberry themselves. Setup is fairly painless:
- Make sure you have an up-to-date Java SDK. I was installing on a clean XP install in Parallels so I installed Java SE 6.
- Make sure the simulator is allowed through any firewalls (I disabled mine) and that the machine has the right Path environment settings.
- Install the Email and MDS Simulator package from the download page.
- Install one of the Device Simulators from the download page.
- Launch the MDS simulator followed by the device you chose. Launch the browser and surf away.
Hopefully I'll get to learn more about developing for handhelds, as this is an area I know little about and bound to become more important in the future. Whatever I learn I'll pass one, as ever.